Saturday, January 3, 2015

Thanksgiving Pie (Chart)

The Christmas season had me creating but not finding time to share on the blog. So here's a throwback to November!

It happens all the time. We're sitting down to a fabulous feast, and not only do I fail to capture the food, but the family as well. It's just always so hectic. We had about 30 people gathering at my parents' house (the only house that could fit us all) for our big Thanksgiving Day dinner. My only photo was a phone pic of all the foil covered dishes, running from one end of the counter to the other. Meanwhile I was running here and there, setting up Sternos, counting chairs, arranging utensils, trying not to burn the gravy. When we finally sat down to eat, I was just happy to do that and nothing else.

So phone pic it is. Below you can see how I scrapped my one odd Thanksgiving photo, one in which you see no food!

Papers and labels are from Elle's Studio Sycamore Lane collection, a treasure trove of bright and colorful patterns. I borrowed some of those same hues and gave my background a light wash of watercolor. Confetti, punched from paper scraps, adds a festive touch, while a happy little pie chart represents all the yummy dishes beneath those layers of foil. (Yes, I misspelled Chinet in my journaling. Sigh.)


My favorite dishes get special mention, labeling some of the wedges.


and recount in the journaling how Chinet and Solo cups stand in for fancy china and crystal. The layout is aptly titled Casual Feast:


Regardless, the house is filled with family and laughter, and what was under all that foil was the most delicious Thanksgiving dinner ever!


We are thankful!

3 comments:

Nancy Thomas said...

I think your photo is awesome - love the pie chart concept.

Vanessa said...

Oh I LOVE this layout! What a great use of the pie chart. I too always forget to take photos of the food. I have so many pics just like the one in your layout. And don't worry about the spelling. You're human. :)

Mary Jo said...

This is a great idea and fun page!
I think I got almost zero photos on Thanksgiving. Maybe one or two that are great but nothing that lets you know it was Thanksgiving.
It will definitely be a "story heavy" page. :)