Monday, October 22, 2012

It's A Start

I've never really learned how to use my camera! Yes, it's true. I have had it for almost 7 years and for all that time it has remained on auto and the occasional sports and portrait modes. I learned all about aperture and shutter speed, but never really put it into action, never comfortable with my knowledge, and always afraid that I'd mess up that perfect shot by setting it up wrong. But then I signed up to be team photographer for my son's swim club. Uh-oh. Their first meet will be at an indoor facility NEXT WEEK! I had to step up my game and take it off auto once and for all. 

Thankfully, this weekend I had the opportunity to practice during a school meet at the same pool. Eh...they aren't great pics. But I got non-flash photos in a place where I would have never tried before. And I learned quite a bit more about my camera. I also learned that I need another lens if I want low light action shots! And focusing is a big deal that requires a lot more practice from me. 

Here are a few of my pictures from this weekend. Not stellar. Some were a bit dark and somewhat grainy. But I took it off of auto and that's a start.

If you shoot indoor sporting events with success, I'd love some tips and lens recommendations! (It was impossible to freeze the action with my set-up.)








Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

I'm no help. LOL! I'm still learning too. I think your shots turned out great, especially the third one.

Mary Pat Siehl said...

i think your shots look awesome

Elisa K said...

Great photos... Your on your way.. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

You got some great shots!! Shooting indoors is something I always struggle with.

Heidi said...

I think you got some great shots. Love this post! I feel like I could have written it as I am the same way with my camera.

Fleursbydesign said...

Great photos, I haven't learned much about my camera either lol

laura said...

Your shots look great. I always had trouble with shots in the gym with thse funky layout. Everything was yellow.

Staci said...

These shots came out really good! :-)

scrappymo! said...

I think they look great!

Margie Higuchi said...

I was never comfortable with indoor sports shots. See if your camera's manuf. web site has quick video tips to help you through some of the details. I have a NIKON and that helped me a little :) Good luck!

sharin said...

My suggestion for low light situations is to use a 50mm f/1.4 lens. It lets in more light to help with those dimmer venues, plus it can capture sports/motion pictures better (for the same reason=more light can hit the sensor.) If you can't afford the f 1.4, you'll save about $100 getting the f 1.8, but you'll lose one stop of light. Hope that little bit of info can help with your research. ;-)
~sharin